Translate

Followers

Friday, February 8, 2013

Punishment vs Discipline


By Gloria Phifer


I visited a church Bible Study. They were discussing the book of Hosea.

There was a discussion on "punishment." There are some who believe God punishes the believer.

Punishment is a word that makes me pull away. The conotations of that word seem so harsh.

Especially, because in my child hood...punishment was unjust and unfair. It was more vengeful than teaching.

The Word says God "chastens us." When I look up chasten...it means "child training." I understand this. I want the Lord to teach me and train me in the Way of Righteousness.

If something happens to me, I don't see it as punishment. (I also  know I have an enemy that fights me.). But, I also know that the Lord will teach me through everything I go through.  And to me "Through" is the way He takes me.

I believe Jesus took all my punishment for my sin on Himself at the cross. I thank the Lord, that when I do sin, I can confess and my sins are washed and I am cleansed from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

I believe in discipline. A disciple is trained. I want to be trained in the Ways of the Lord. Psalm 23 says "He will lead me on the paths of righteousness for His Name sake." I love the fact that He leads...He never drives His sheep.  He is a Gentle Shepherd.

I love that we are under "Grace" and not under law. There is no such thing as "cheap grace." This Gift of Grace cost our Savior, Jesus Christ, his life. We were bought with a tremendous price. 1 Peter 1:18-19

One of my favorite scriptures is Ephesians 1:4 According as He has chosen us In Him, before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love.

Only Grace could have reached down and placed us in this position. John 1:17 "The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

No comments: