Translate

Followers

Sunday, October 14, 2018

WHAT IS IT ABOUT CLOTHES?

Gloria Phifer

I was watching a TV preacher this morning. and "Wham." A lot of things began flooding back.

Pastor Evans, the preacher, was telling how he had few clothes when he was growing up. Now, he can look in his closet and see suits, pants, shirts. His children tease him about being a "Clothes horse."

I have a lot of clothes. I enjoy clothes, especially when I can get a sale of 65% off. I will confess I have too many clothes. I have given a lot away but i have more to do.

I begin to cry as I told my husband about the feelings that surfaced. I didn't have many clothes. I remember wearing a vest and skirt that matched to school...a girl made fun of my clothing...she said "it was dirty." and you know what? It was. It was made of wool. I couldn't afford to clean it. I was embarrassed.

One summer, that had been very difficult, in fact thinking about it, at that time I just felt numb. So much had happened to me. A member of my family cut up my clothes. 

After I was married, I moved to my husbands home town. His grandmother asked me to go to church with her. My mother in law told me I didn't have good enough clothes to go to church.

Today, a lot of memories I thought were dealt with, surfaced again.

I felt no condemnation from the Lord about the clothes I have. I had the realization that he understands me better than I know myself.

Where I had so much loss in childhood and teen years...He has been so good to me. 

Do the clothes matter? No, they don't. They were a symptom of trying to get over the feeling of "not enough."  Or the rejection and hurt I felt. 

The Lord gave me more understanding of "Gloria." He cared what happened to me...when I was humiliated, rejected, not cared for, not taken care of.  He cared.

I thank Him for giving me understanding and letting me rethink "clothes and other things" I want to hang on to. 

I felt like He said, "I will never give you loss."

My Heavenly Father has clothed me with His righteousness. The most wonderful clothing there is. He sees me as clean, accepted and wanted. I am sure that when I went through hard times, He wept with me. I feel like He has made up 100% of what I ever lost. 
He cares and understands me better than I understand myself. 

Oh the wonderful grace and love of our Father God, Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit Who are at work in my life...Thank You Lord.

No comments: