Translate

Followers

Saturday, August 9, 2014

THE RAGS ARE GONE!!!

white robe : portrait of brunet woman in white dress looking out window of old house Stock Photo
NEWNESS



Gloria Phifer  

         There use to be a saying "from rags to riches."

I was preparing for Bible Study this morning and two memories came to my mind.  When my first step dad died there was enough money. I had clothes.  When my mother remarried, alcohol invaded our home.  Slowly but surely we were being diminished.

I changed schools 14 times. Each time I would try to fit in. About the time I did, I was pulled up and taken somewhere else.

In those days, girls had to wear dresses to school.  That morning I wore a two piece wool dress. I knew it needed to be dry cleaned but who had money for dry cleaning?  I hoped no one would notice.

A girl in a class (I was in high school). "Nice outfit" she said.

"thanks."

She looked me over..."It's dirty!"

I was so humiliated. I didn't tell my mother. I always kept things to myself.  I was a child in great need in so many ways. Our life was chaos. I often wondered if I wanted to live.  But when ever that happened, it was like someone was speaking to me, "Don't give up, keep going."

At 19 I married.  I only had one bra. I remember when my young husband said to me "It's dirty." I was so embarrassed. When he went to work I washed it in the sink ( we didn't have a wash machine) and waited for it to dry.

This morning I read in Isaiah 64:6 "we are all as an unclean thing and all our righteousness are as filthy rags, and we all do fade as a leaf; and our inequities, like the wind, have taken us away. 

How sad for the Lord to see us dressed in filthy rags. 

Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord; though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow: though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

In Isaiah 52 and 53 we find the prophesies of the cross...the price that would be paid to redeem us.  The price to make us new and clean...righteous.  

Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation. He has covered me with the Robe of righteousness....

At the age of 22 yrs old. I knew I couldn't make it in this life in my own strength. I was fearful and depressed.

 I began to read the Bible in the Book of John.  Jesus became real to me.  One night I asked Him into my life. 

When I was a child I did not feel wanted, loved or cared for. I have found a Father.  A Father Who has dressed me in a Robe of Righteousness. My clothing is white as snow through the blood of Jesus Christ my Savior. I am a child of God. A royal daughter of the King of Kings. He takes care of me. He meets all my needs.

I do not have my own righteousness---the rags. Now I have the Righteousness of Christ Jesus. 2 Cor. 5:21 "He has made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."  

Are your clothes dirty and ragged...do you feel you have no hope?

I know where you will fine a Robe of Righteousness. I know where you will be loved.  I know where you will belong.  His Name is Jesus Christ.  He paid the price for you to wear His Righteousness. A price where you can begin again.  Say: "Lord Jesus forgive me for my sins. Cleanse me and come into my life. I receive everything that you paid for me on that cross. I receive your forgiveness...I receive Your righteousness. Amen. 

No comments: